Friday, November 11, 2011

A Return to Riesling

Just because this is a short post doesn't mean that the bloom is off the rose as far as it goes between me and Nk'Mip Riesling. I've just fallen so far behind on my posts and I've written a fair bit about Nk'Mip before that I need to be short and sweet. Besides, I've already added previous vintages of the Riesling to The List as well.

974. 2008 Nk'Mip Riesling (VQA Okanagan Valley)

I've found that Nk'Mip's Riesling has had a pretty steady profile of being crisp and citrus-packed over the last couple of vintages. It may just be that the last couple of growing seasons have resulted in fruit with higher acidity levels, but I seem to recall a slight residual sugar on the early Rieslings that Nk'Mip produced.

I kind of miss that touch of sweet. If nothing else, it'd "permit" a little more spice or heat on the butter chicken. The higher acidity doesn't match up quite as well.

Not, of course, that we have to have butter chicken to accompany our Riesling. After all, there's no denying that Randy Picton and crew still deliver a distinctive and layered glass of wine. It sure is nice when that favourite pairing of our's does work though.

No comments:

Post a Comment