Saturday, September 10, 2011

Salt Spring Rosé

We're getting the signs that Summer's coming to an end. It's not that I'm opposed to Fall, but, with this year in particular, it's like "Oh Summer, we hardly knew ye!"

If nothing else, rather than lamenting the seasonal shift, I might use the transition to Fall as an excuse to drink up some of the Rosés that still happen to be hanging around our place.

917. 2010 Salt Spring Vineyards Rosé (Gulf Islands - BC)

We picked this bottle up at the winery back on the July 1 Canada Day weekend, when Boo and I visited Tyrant and he hosted the Dinner Club at his new place on Salt Spring.

When we weren't lounging around Tyrant's gorgeous property, shopping for cheese or wining and dining, we managed to make a nice visit to Salt Spring Vineyards - one of the three wineries in operation on the island. Unfortunately, I didn't take any notes on the wine or the production when we visited the winery and I don't see a whole lot of information online. So, I can't go on and on about the bottle. However, I did see that it's a blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes and that the fruit is all estate grown.

Whether you'd want to call this "terroir" or not, I'll leave up to you, but the lightness and freshness of the wine just leaves me hankering to return to the island and sit back in the sun - or at the winery's picnic area - and finish off another bottle. I'll look forward to our next chance to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment