Friday, May 6, 2011

May The Fourth Be With You

No playoff game between the Canucks and Predators tonight - which is probably a good thing for my sanity - the anxiety that's been accompanying the Canucks in these playoffs is enough to drive a guy to drink.

On the flip side, there was a great bit of frivolity around the office when I heard on the radio that today, May 4, is the unofficial International Stars Wars Day. Think about it. I had quite the kick letting everyone know and exclaiming "May the Fourth be with you."

795. 2006 Forbidden Fruit Cabernet Sauvignon (Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys)

I was trying to think of a wine that might be somewhat appropriate for the Star Wars theme. It was the label on the Forbidden Fruit Earth Series wine that won me over.

I'd tried the Earth Series Sauvignon Blanc and added it to The List so many months back (at #666). At that time, I talked about the winery's straying from its acclaimed fruit wine base and the foray into grape wines. So I won't repeat myself again here - except to say that the Earth Series of wines envisions the growing of grapes with "low impact and sustainable farming practices" and that a portion of wine sales goes to the David Suzuki Foundation and its environmental efforts to sustain life on earth.

Luke, Hans and Leia - not to mention Yoda - would be proud.

Unlike with its fruit wines, Forbidden Fruit doesn't grow all of the grapes for these wines. Rather, they source the fruit from like-minded growers in the Similkameen and the neighbouring Okanagan Valley. Unfortunately, I can't say that it was a Cab that hit the right notes for me. Nor did it do so for Boo and he's the bigger Cab fan in our household. I think we both just found it to be a little thin, without much fruit on the palate.

As much as I admire the winery's environmental outlook and approach to the production of this wine, I'm far more likely to reach for one of Forbidden Fruit's tree fruit wines before I grab the Cab again.

I do, however, have a new holiday to look forward to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment