Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wild Goose Merlot

There hasn't been a whole lot of TGIF cocktails lately around the office. Guess most folks are just happy that another week has gone by and they're ready to get on with the weekend. Maybe the longer days and the nicer weather has lightened the mood, but the last month or so has seen at least a couple quick "week-caps." The primary gist, however, has been to round up an assortment of specialty beers and have a bit of a tasting.

Over the Easter long weekend, The Boss took a bit of a jaunt up to the Okanagan and he brought back a couple of bottles of wine from Wild Goose with him. Good Boss. He noted that I'd already added one of the bottles (the 2008 Gewurztraminer) to The List, but a second bottle was ripe for the opening. The gang still brought out an assortment of brews to sample but I took the wine opportunity when it was presented.

405. 2007 Wild Goose Merlot Reserve (VQA Okanagan Valley)

I was meant to post an entry about a BC Wine Appreciation Society tasting with Wild Goose Vineyards back in December '09, but the holiday season kind of got the best of me - particularly since I don't allow myself to add a bottle to The List while at tastings. I may still try to get back to posting that night, but the big news that Roland Kruger announced to the assembled gang was that their winery was named the 2009 Pacific Northwest Winery of the Year by Wine Press Northwest. A regional winery of the year is chosen in each of Idaho, BC, Washington and Oregon and then an overall winner is chosen for the Pacific Northwest.

The Kruger family was justifiably proud of this accolade.

I think most people, me included, generally think of white wines when Wild Goose is mentioned in conversation - in particular, their Gewurztraminer and Riesling. The winery does, however, produce a Merlot and a Pinot Noir. The Boss's bottle was the more limited Reserve bottling. Aged a little longer in new French oak, the Merlot Reserve still didn't jump out of the glass for me. There was no hesitation when it came to refilling the glass but, at $25, I think I'd prefer to stick to the Wild Goose whites.

Not a bad start to the weekend though.

No comments:

Post a Comment