Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tangled Vines

The last time that I added a Tangled Vines wine to The List, I was disappointed because I didn't think the bottle was in the best of conditions and I wasn't able to gush exuberantly in the manner that I would have liked and hoped to.

Not so this time. Their second bottle on The List is a keeper.

322. 2008 Tangled Vines Three Blancs (VQA Okanagan)

This was a fairly new release for the winery and I saw them (for the first time, I think) in one of the VQA shops that I make it into every so often. Seeing it, I thought I'd give it whirl since the "No buy Leash" had been loosened a touch.

This vintage is a blend of Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer (the latter replacing the Muscat of the '07 blending). I was rather pleasantly surprised to find that the wine was a touch off-dry. I seem to remember that winemaker, Craig McKenzie, is a big fan of bright acidity on his wines. There was still enough acidity to set off the sweet, but that hint of sweet allowed us to add a bit of spice to the evening's dinner.

I don't know the breakdown of the varietal percentages, but I'm pretty sure that I'm noticing more Pinot Blanc/Pinot Gris blends being tried by BC winemakers. There might just be something to that.

We'll look forward to trying Three Blancs again, if only because (as the label says) "Blancs have more fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment