Thursday, April 30, 2009

Haiku to You Too

For the last couple of years, one of the rites of spring has been the Annual Haiku Brunch thrown by the wildly talented and gracious amf.  For many years, I had always loved the building she lives in - I just didn't know she lived there.  After having seen each other for many a day during the old "Delta Sub" days at UBC over coffee and cards, we hadn't run into each other in years.  Then, bam, like a blast from the past, she waltzes back into the scene.  And to top it off, I finally get an in into that crazy apartment building.  It's like you've just stepped into a Manhattan co-op.

So, for the last three Springs, I've had the pleasure of attending the Haiku Brunch.  All of amf's gang get to swank out and share a little creative licence.  And laugh.  Lots.  It's not a stretch to say that some of the friends are more artistically inclined than others.  I am not one of the artistic ones.

However, I have to stretch the old creative writing along with all the others to "guarantee" a continued invite.  Luckily, for those not up on the literary requirements for haiku sensibilities, I only had to come up with three lines - of five, seven, and five syllables.   There was a catch this year though - a theme.  And the raison d'haiku was "advice."

Seeing as how this blog has taken up a fair bit of time lately, I decided to stick with what I've been immersed in - drinking.  So, along with the new bottle being added to The List:

35.  N.V. Martini & Rossi Prosecco (Veneto - Italy)

I threw in my simple take on sage thoughts:

red wine.  mmmmmm.  so fine.
a sudden bump.  damn.  stain - bad!
drink red?  best wear black.

No comments:

Post a Comment